Vessel Salvage in Port Douglas, Queensland, for Maritime Safety Queensland
North Marine’s commercial diving department is contracted to salvage the wreck of the SV Roma from Dixon Inlet, Port Douglas, Queensland.
Client: Maritime Safety Queensland (MSQ)
Maritime Safety Queensland (MSQ) is a branch of the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
Scope of Work – ‘Vessel Salvage SV Roma’
North Marine crew and divers inspect the wreckage and over two days, work to eliminate further environmental risk and prepare the derelict vessel for salvage.
300L of oil & diesel and 11 lead-acid batteries are removed, voids are pumped, and additional SOPEP measures are implemented.
North Marine divers detach the anchoring system & manoeuvre to an approved site where the vessel is careened on the bank at king tide.
A demolition crew is engaged for its safe disposal.
The vessel was successfully disposed of, and the salvage was completed with a thorough site assessment and cleaning of the area to ensure that all debris associated with the wreck was removed.
Workboat ‘Tin Duck’ was utilised on this project.
Government Supplier – Marine Contractor, North Marine
North Marine is a prominent marine support company based in the Port of Cairns in Queensland, Australia. North Marine has a long history of delivering maritime support services to Government agencies and the public sector.
Most notably, North Marine holds long-term, recurring contracts to maintain public moorings throughout the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park with Queensland Parks & Wildlife Service (QPWS) and has a long-term supplier role with the Bureau of Meteorology’s (BOM’s) remote weather stations in the Pacific.
- Extensive track record of Government contracting
- Environmentally & socially aware company, with experience operating in the environmentally sensitive habitat of Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, Queensland waterways & tidal zones
- Local SME marine business in Cairns, Queensland
- Local FNQ workforce
- A fleet of suitable charter vessels to perform works
- Waterfront marine facility in Port of Cairns as the operational base
- Experienced divers & project managers
- ISO accredited
- Hold all applicable permits to conduct works
North Marine successfully completed the vessel salvage contract with all project objectives and reporting delivered in full, on time and within budget.