Sacrificial Anode Supply, Installation & Cathodic-Protection Field Testing
North Marine‘s Commercial Dive Department was contracted to supply and install sacrificial anodes, including conducting cathodic-protection field-testing, in Cairns Harbour, Cairns Marlin Marina and Fitzroy Island in Queensland, Australia.
Ports North is a Queensland Government Owned Corporation.
Scope of Work – Anode Replacement Project
North Marine was engaged to supply, remove and replace old anodes and hanger rods. The anode contract involved inspecting/cleaning/restoring piles and surfaces, highly-skilled underwater welding work by NM professional divers, and rectifying bond cables.
Any areas that were found not to be in alignment with current specification drawings were identified and addressed, in accordance with Ports North directives.
Anode replacement works were field-tested by a North Marine sub-contractor, for quality assurance. This involved cathodic protection testing on the steel piles, by an ACA Certified Corrosion Technologist.
North Marine’s HIAB crane-truck was used to lower the larger anodes into the water.
The works combined both shore-based and vessel-based operations, depending on available access points. ‘Reef Safari’ workboat was deployed for this project along with a team of experienced and skilled North Marine commercial divers and an on-site Project Manager.
Managing the Anode Replacement Project presented numerous logistical challenges.
Detailed planning and methodology covered:
- Operating within the environmentally sensitive habitats of both Cairns Harbour, Queensland, and Fitzroy Island on the Great Barrier Reef
- Substantial tidal limitations for crane and vessel access
- Operating restrictions set by the Ports North
- Minimising disturbance to other vessel movements and users of the Port / Fitzroy Jetty
- Risk management – Control measures for hazards such as marine fauna, crocodiles, tidal currents and debris etc
North Marine – Discriminators for the Ports North Anode Replacement Project
- Comprehensive Environmental Management Procedures when operating in Ports & high-traffic areas – with extensive experience in such operations
- Excellent working relationships with all Stakeholders
- Two Cairns locations for delivery & storage of project materials, including a waterfront marine facility in Port of Cairns and central, city headquarters as the operational base
- Local SME marine business in Cairns, Queensland
- Local FNQ workforce
- Extensive track record of Government contracting
- A fleet of suitable charter vessels and cranes to perform works
- Experienced commercial divers & project managers – including suitably skilled underwater Welders
- Ethically, environmentally & socially aware marine contractor
- ISO Accreditation
- Hold required work permits
North Marine successfully completed the contract tender with all project objectives and reporting delivered in full, on time and within budget.
North Marine – Leading Marine Contractor in Queensland, Australia
North Marine is a prominent marine support company based in the Port of Cairns in Queensland, Australia.
North Marine has a long history of delivering maritime support services to Government agencies and the public sector.