ROV Drone Underwater Inspection Services in Cairns Harbour, for Tropical Aviation
North Marine is engaged in inspecting underwater infrastructure in Cairns Harbour using our Seasam remotely operated vehicle (ROV) and assessing the client’s moorings.
Client: Tropical Aviation
Tropical Aviation operates seaplane tours in the Port of Cairns.
Scope of Work
North Marine is tasked to get reliable photographic and video evidence of the condition of underwater mooring infrastructure in the Cairns Harbour, for Tropical Aviation. The area is known for its large tidal movements and low levels of visibility in the water.
The client required visual data on the infrastructure before deciding whether to proceed with further maintenance or to remove the moorings entirely.
ROVs are both cost and time-effective for such underwater inspections.
Furthermore, they provide heightened safety control measures by minimising the need for underwater dive inspections by personnel, in a potentially high-risk environment.
- Operating within the environmentally sensitive habitat of Trinity Inlet, Cairns Harbour, in a declared ‘Fish Habitat Area’ by the Department of Environment and Science (DES).
- Substantial tidal limitations; currents
- Turbid Water
- Risk management – Control measures for hazards such as marine fauna, crocodiles, bull sharks, sea snakes etc
Underwater Inspection Services – North Marine
North Marine is a prominent commercial diving company based in the Port of Cairns in Queensland, Australia.
We have a long history of delivering maritime support services throughout Queensland and are widely considered a leader in the field of in-water inspection services.
North Marine provides marine infrastructure support to Government agencies, large commercial enterprises and most tourism operators throughout northern Australia.
We have an outstanding track record of service and delivery for underwater inspection services in Cairns.
- State-of-the-art ROV technology, limiting diving time & cost
- Well established operating within the environmental controls & hazardous marine environment of Cairns Harbour and the Trinity Inlet
- Waterfront marine facility in Port of Cairns as an operational base for delivering underwater inspection services in Cairns
- Excellent working relationship with related authorities. In this instance, consultations included Ports North, the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF), the Department of Environment and Science (DES) and Maritime Safety Queensland (MSQ)
- Applicable insurances and certifications
- A fleet of suitable charter vessels to perform works
- Experienced divers & project managers
- First-rate Safety Management Systems, Diving Procedures and a dedicated Crocodile Management Plan
- ISO accredited
North Marine successfully captured clear imagery in a cost-effective and efficient manner. The method used achieved the best outcomes for all related parties.
Following the ROV inspection findings, the client chose to remove the mooring systems.